
As many of you are aware, my dad(Jerry Pell) passed away suddenly last week, as a result of a tragic work accident. It has been a really rough week for our family, but the prayer/cards/support from friends, and family has been overwhelming. I don't think I ever had a clue the number of lives my dad touch during his 51+ years here on earth. There is no doubt he will be missed by many, but we can find hope in the fact that we will be together again someday in heaven.
For those who weren't at the funeral, my sister and I read the below letter, reflecting on some of our most favorite memories of my dad that I thought I would share:
My dad was many things to many different people, but to me he was not only a dad, but also my best friend.
I am so thankful for this chance to get to share a little bit of the essence of who my dad was. Anyone who met him could easily see that he was filled with JOY and LIFE.
I remember the day you taught me how to ride a bike at our 48th street house in Fremont, running along side me every step of the way, and knowing that if I would fall, you would be there to catch me. I remember all the good times we had together on the farm. Letting me help you with chores, riding with you in the tractor, and our five mile long rides on the Spree to Grandpa and Grandma Pell’s farm, including a ride down Pickle Hill.
When I was four years old, Dad was building our current house and he wanted to show me the progress from on top of a tall, skinny wall. Mom said no. Dad said yes. He never let us sit on the side lines. I knew how to reload a nail gun by the time I was in 5th grade and I roofed my first house with Dad when I was 13. Dad dreamed construction. He was the brains and brawn behind all of the class of 2002’s school homecoming floats. Dad and I even had plans in the works for a pirate ship for my non-existent children. He promised Scott and me that when we got married he would build each of us a home on our 5th year wedding anniversary. My husband, Daniel, and I are so excited to see dad’s home for us… we know that Heaven’s got GREAT building materials.
I remember all those late nights working in the garage on my middle school science projects. There wasn’t a project too big or too small that you weren’t willing to help with and how the teachers never believed that I built them all by myself. I guess most middle schoolers would never think about making a sail for their boat out of waterproof tyvek paper.
Dad loved singing bass in the church choir. Which surprised our family… since Dad can’t sing. He would tell us how he strategically placed himself by people who could read music, so he knew that he was singing the right part. I am excited to report that today JP is singing his heart out… and he’s in TUNE!
I remember in high school during our run to the Basketball State Championship, how you and some of the other dad’s thought you could out do your sons, by wearing the same a-frame(wife beater) t-shirts to the game. You were like a second dad to many of my friends, and goofed around with us like you were one of the guys. Yet you still knew the importance of being an adult role model, and inspired us become better young men.
Dad was so engaged with our family and he loved playing with us. Not only with us, but with our friends. I think of all of my friends that he cared so deeply about. My dad considered you all second sons and daughters. It was frequent that he would ask me: What’s new with Jenni? Have you heard from Buter? How’s Amy doing? When are we going to play cards with those Moellers? He loved you all and I know that we ALL are going to miss his joy and energy.
I remember calling you and mom on February 27, 2008 just after midnight to let you know you were grandparents and how you and mom showed up at the hospital at 2:00am, all dressed up in your Sunday best. Addison is going to certainly miss her Grandpa, but I am so thankful for the time you had together.
Dad was so excited about being a grandpa, so much so, that before Addison was even born he drove to see Daniel (who was working at a shoe store) to get fitted for “granddaughter stroller walking shoes”. When Daniel asked Dad about what type of shoe he was looking for, Dad’s quick reply was “only the best for her”.
I remember all those late weekday nights and early Saturday mornings doing lawn work together. You never complained about the job or the weather, and were always so willing to help me out. We worked hard, but played even harder. I remember our annual snowmobiling trips to Canada and riding across the frozen tundra in sub-zero temperatures. There was never a hill too tall or snow too deep that you weren’t willing to try at least once. I remember our week long stays at Grandpa’s cottage and how I use to drag you out of bed early in the morning to go fishing with me. You never really caught much, but you loved to talk for hours about the meaning of life, and the importance of faith.
I want you all to know that last Saturday, by heavenly providence, my family decided to spend the morning together. In Pell fashion, we had a blast! We took pictures together, we played games and laughed. Dad raced Addison. (Addison won). Dad and Scott even finished putting the last nails in a project! On Saturday I told Dad twice “I love you” and I can still remember his bear hug and holding his rough calloused hands. Dad died knowing that I loved him and I know that he loved me deeply.
Dad, I have so many great memories and I will cherish them forever. I couldn’t have asked for a better role model and I will never forget all of the things you taught me, you have truly shaped me into the man I am today, and I am so thankful for that. You will be missed by many, but I am so thankful for the 51 years God gave you here on earth, and that we can be reassured that someday soon we will meet again in heaven.
I am so thankful for this chance to get to share a little bit of the essence of who my dad was. Anyone who met him could easily see that he was filled with JOY and LIFE.
I remember the day you taught me how to ride a bike at our 48th street house in Fremont, running along side me every step of the way, and knowing that if I would fall, you would be there to catch me. I remember all the good times we had together on the farm. Letting me help you with chores, riding with you in the tractor, and our five mile long rides on the Spree to Grandpa and Grandma Pell’s farm, including a ride down Pickle Hill.
When I was four years old, Dad was building our current house and he wanted to show me the progress from on top of a tall, skinny wall. Mom said no. Dad said yes. He never let us sit on the side lines. I knew how to reload a nail gun by the time I was in 5th grade and I roofed my first house with Dad when I was 13. Dad dreamed construction. He was the brains and brawn behind all of the class of 2002’s school homecoming floats. Dad and I even had plans in the works for a pirate ship for my non-existent children. He promised Scott and me that when we got married he would build each of us a home on our 5th year wedding anniversary. My husband, Daniel, and I are so excited to see dad’s home for us… we know that Heaven’s got GREAT building materials.
I remember all those late nights working in the garage on my middle school science projects. There wasn’t a project too big or too small that you weren’t willing to help with and how the teachers never believed that I built them all by myself. I guess most middle schoolers would never think about making a sail for their boat out of waterproof tyvek paper.
Dad loved singing bass in the church choir. Which surprised our family… since Dad can’t sing. He would tell us how he strategically placed himself by people who could read music, so he knew that he was singing the right part. I am excited to report that today JP is singing his heart out… and he’s in TUNE!
I remember in high school during our run to the Basketball State Championship, how you and some of the other dad’s thought you could out do your sons, by wearing the same a-frame(wife beater) t-shirts to the game. You were like a second dad to many of my friends, and goofed around with us like you were one of the guys. Yet you still knew the importance of being an adult role model, and inspired us become better young men.
Dad was so engaged with our family and he loved playing with us. Not only with us, but with our friends. I think of all of my friends that he cared so deeply about. My dad considered you all second sons and daughters. It was frequent that he would ask me: What’s new with Jenni? Have you heard from Buter? How’s Amy doing? When are we going to play cards with those Moellers? He loved you all and I know that we ALL are going to miss his joy and energy.
I remember calling you and mom on February 27, 2008 just after midnight to let you know you were grandparents and how you and mom showed up at the hospital at 2:00am, all dressed up in your Sunday best. Addison is going to certainly miss her Grandpa, but I am so thankful for the time you had together.
Dad was so excited about being a grandpa, so much so, that before Addison was even born he drove to see Daniel (who was working at a shoe store) to get fitted for “granddaughter stroller walking shoes”. When Daniel asked Dad about what type of shoe he was looking for, Dad’s quick reply was “only the best for her”.
I remember all those late weekday nights and early Saturday mornings doing lawn work together. You never complained about the job or the weather, and were always so willing to help me out. We worked hard, but played even harder. I remember our annual snowmobiling trips to Canada and riding across the frozen tundra in sub-zero temperatures. There was never a hill too tall or snow too deep that you weren’t willing to try at least once. I remember our week long stays at Grandpa’s cottage and how I use to drag you out of bed early in the morning to go fishing with me. You never really caught much, but you loved to talk for hours about the meaning of life, and the importance of faith.
I want you all to know that last Saturday, by heavenly providence, my family decided to spend the morning together. In Pell fashion, we had a blast! We took pictures together, we played games and laughed. Dad raced Addison. (Addison won). Dad and Scott even finished putting the last nails in a project! On Saturday I told Dad twice “I love you” and I can still remember his bear hug and holding his rough calloused hands. Dad died knowing that I loved him and I know that he loved me deeply.
Dad, I have so many great memories and I will cherish them forever. I couldn’t have asked for a better role model and I will never forget all of the things you taught me, you have truly shaped me into the man I am today, and I am so thankful for that. You will be missed by many, but I am so thankful for the 51 years God gave you here on earth, and that we can be reassured that someday soon we will meet again in heaven.
Here is picture from the weekend before the accident. We were making a "surprise" picture calendar for my parents for Christmas and needed a few more photos. We will miss you dearly, but I am so thankful for the 28+ years I was able to spend with you. I couldn't have asked for a better dad and role model! I love you BUDDY!!!




4 comments:
What a wonderful tribute... it brought me to tears and reminded me to cherish each day with my loved ones. Thank you for those beautiful words. We will continue to pray for your family. We are so sorry for your great loss.
Love,
The Zuidemas
so beautiful.
I sit here crying as I read this; thank you for sharing. I feel like I got a glimpse of the wonderful life you've had with your dad and feel the excitement with you that you will soon see and be with him again. May God bless you greatly in the waiting period until then...
I read you tribute on Thanksgiving morning and it brought me to tears! Your dad was a special man and we will really miss him!!! We heard from the Kamps that you got a nice buck!!! Congrats from a family of hunters!!!
The De Witt's
Post a Comment